Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Gibson enters rehab after DUI arrest


Academy Award winning actor-director Mel Gibson entered a rehab program after his arrest on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol, his publicist said Monday.

PICTURE TO THE RIGHT ---> The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department released this booking photo of Mel Gibson.

The movie star's troubles mounted Monday as a Web site reported Gibson had been stopped twice before for reckless driving and let go.

Gibson issued a statement over the weekend saying that he drove and should not have after drinking alcohol on Thursday night.

GIBSON APOLOGIZES

"The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person," he said in the statement.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said a preliminary test showed Gibson's blood alcohol level was 0.12. California's legal limit is .08. Gibson was released after posting $5,000 bond, and has not been charged, though he may be, the department said.

"I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said, and I apologize to anyone who I have offended," Gibson said in his statement.

The long-term effects of the events remained unclear, but headlines about the actor -- who also won an Oscar for directing "Braveheart" -- offered a glimpse of the challenges ahead for him.

" 'Despicable' words could taint Gibson," said the Hollywood Reporter. "Gibson gaffe could impact career," read Variety. A Los Angeles Times news analysis said, "Crossing this line could cost him deals."

No comments: